top of page

Are you 80/20 or 100?



Hi ProAgers!


This month I wanted to share with you a rule (actually a guideline) I use when I feel like I’m not able to live up to my best intentions for my own personal health and wellness plan. I always want to feel like I’m doing my best and live up to my own expectations for myself but sometimes I just can’t and I don’t want to beat myself up or feel guilty so this is where I apply my version of the 80/20 rule.


When it comes to health and wellness, giving 100% means dedicating your full effort and commitment towards maintaining a healthy lifestyle. This includes following a balanced diet, engaging in regular exercise, getting enough sleep, managing stress,

and taking care of your mental and emotional well-being. It involves making conscious choices that prioritize your health in all aspects of life.


On the other hand, the concept of 80/20 in health and wellness suggests that you

strive to maintain a healthy lifestyle 80% of the time, allowing for flexibility and indulgence the remaining 20% of the time. It acknowledges that it's unrealistic to be perfect all the time and allows for occasional treats or deviations from a strict routine.


The difference between the two approaches lies in the level of strictness and dedication. Giving 100% requires a higher level of commitment, discipline, and consistency, while the 80/20 approach allows for more flexibility and moderation.


It’s important to note that the right approach varies from person to person. Some individuals thrive on strict adherence and find satisfaction in giving 100%, while others may find a balanced approach like 80/20 more sustainable and enjoyable. Ultimately,

It’s about finding a strategy that works best for your individual needs and goals.


When it comes to being healthy, the 80/20 rule can be applied in various ways. Here

are a few examples:


1 - Balanced Diet: Focus on eating nutritious, whole foods 80% of the time, while allowing yourself some flexibility or indulgence for the remaining 20%. This approach encourages a sustainable and enjoyable approach to eating well.


2 - Exercise Routine: Aim to engage in physical activity or structured exercise 80% of

the time, while allowing for rest and recovery the remaining 20%. This balance helps prevent burnout and still supports overall fitness and well-being.


3 - Lifestyle Habits: Prioritize healthy habits such as getting enough sleep, managing stress, and staying hydrated for 80% of the time. Allow yourself some flexibility for occasional indulgences or deviations without feeling guilty.


Remember, the 80/20 rule is a guideline and the specific ratios can be adjusted to suit your individual needs and goals. It’s essential to listen to your body. You may want to consult with a health care professional, like myself, to help personalize your approach

to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.


What works well for me is following a fairly strict routine Monday through Friday then being lenient on the weekends, on vacation, at celebrations or other fun events.


I’d love to hear if you fall into 80/20, 100 or something else. What ratio percentage works best for you? If you would like help figuring out your “rule” then LET’S TALK.

I can help you personalize your approach.


Proud to be a ProAger!


Cindy,

Health and Wellness Guide

ProAge Wellbeing


Recent Posts

See All

2件のコメント


Roz Reynolds
Roz Reynolds
2023年7月05日

This was very validating to read. I never thought about it in terms of a ratio, but I stick to my eating/exercise routine during the week and am lenient on the weekends or special occasions. It's more sustainable and releases the guilt. Thank you, Cindy!

いいね!
cindymoody
cindymoody
2023年7月06日
返信先

You're so welcome, Roz. Obviously this rule is working for you because you look so healthy and even younger every time I see you.

いいね!
bottom of page